Canada is similar to the United States when it comes to using social media. Social media in Canada is widely accepted and used for personal and business use. Half of Canadians are on Social Networks. In other words over 18 million people across Canada uses social media. The number of Canadians on Social Networks has only grown by 4% since 2009, the frequency of Social Media use amongst Canadians is on the rise. In 2010, 35% of online Canadians visited a Social Media site at least once a week – that number has now grown to 50%. In 2011 35% of online Canadians visited a Social Networking site everyday which was only 19% a year ago. While 15% of Canadians stated that they use Social Media less than they did a year ago, 35% say that the time spent has increased.
The 18-34 year old demographic are the heaviest users of Social Media in Canada, with 86% of that age range active on Social Networks. But older age ranges have significantly increased their Social Networking activity in recent years. Almost 2/3 of 35-54 year olds and over 40% of those over the age of 55 in Canada are now actively using Social Media.
Facebook is the most popular social media tool in Canada. Facebook users total 18,002,560. They rank #14 in the world in terms of usage on Facebook. Other social media tools used by Canadians include: YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flicker, Digg, and Reddit.
The image below illustrates how Canadians use Social Media.
Social media isn’t used for business as much as it is for personal use. Only 17% of Canadian companies post to social media sites regularly. While 30% of executives interviewed in a study said their company posts to social media sites several times a week. Only three in five of those often monitor social media conversations.
- 17 per cent said their company often monitors for corporate social media mentions and posts to social media sites at least several times a week
- 33 per cent said employees use personal social media accounts to mention company events, news, etc.
- 14 per cent said their company posts to social media channels more than once a day, yet a quarter of those don’t often monitor for mention
- 10 per cent of executives said their company monitors for mentions but seldom, if ever, posts to social media sites
- 5 per cent of execs said their company posts to social media sites at least once a week yet seldom, if ever, monitor for mentions