Canada is a North American country consisting of ten provinces and three territories. Located in the northern part of the continent, it extends from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean. Canada is the world’s second-largest country by total area and its common border with the United States the world’s longest land border.
Canada is one of the world’s most developed nations, with the ninth highest per capita income globally, and the sixth highest ranking in human development. Subsequently, Canada performs above-average in international measurements of education, government transparency, civil liberties, quality of life, and economic freedom.
FACTS ON CANADA
- Population: 32,225,000
- Capital: Ottawa; 1,093,000
- Area: 9,984,670 square kilometers (3,855,101 square miles)
- Language: English, French
- Religion: Roman Catholic, Protestant
- Currency: Canadian dollar
- Life Expectancy: 79
- GDP per Capita: U.S. $29,300
- Literacy Percent: 97
- Industry: Transportation equipment, chemicals, processed and unprocessed minerals, food products
- Agriculture: Wheat, barley, oilseed, tobacco; dairy products; forest products; fish
- Exports: Motor vehicles and parts, industrial machinery, aircraft, telecommunications equipment, chemicals, timber, crude petroleum